Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"Welcome to the real world"

Though it is very hard to pick my favorite song by John Mayer, as of now I would have to say it is "No Such Thing"

http://www.lyricscafe.com/m/mayer_john/johnmayer3.htm

I believe that the meaning that John Mayer is trying to get through in this song is that we should live outside the lines and enjoy every second that we have. We should look forward and not focus on memories (tiny tragedies, as he calls them). All in all, I think he is trying to say live life to its fullest.

The lyrics that I love most in this song are: "They love to tell you stay inside the lines/ But somethings better on the other side." These particular lyrics resonate with me because that is the view that I take on life. That people are always going to tell you to stick with what is seen as "normal" but I believe we should live outside that box and do what makes us happy. I think that part of my personality that made me chose this song was the part that wants to live free. John Mayer throughout this song says he wants to "Run through the halls of my highschool/I want to scream at the top of my lungs." I think he is saying that he wants to let loose and just live. "Live Free or Die Hard", just like the Bruce Willis movie (look at that pop culture reference). :)

I identify with this song so much because the values in this song are the values I take with me every single day of my life. I have always kind of seen this song that way, though. That is part of the reason it has always been on my top 5 favorite John Mayer songs.

2 comments:

lizzyw said...

I love John Mayer! Lots of his songs send messages about social issues, like his song "waiting on the world to change" about war

Caitlyn S said...

Suli I totally feel the same way. You really pinpointed everything, especially the social issues (like Lizzy said) you're completely right! Live free, woman! PS, I love John Mayer.