Sunday, March 2, 2008

Rock the Boat

I feel like early music had a lot more meaning than music does these days. Some may disagree with me and I can accept that but I feel like the lyrics and the meaning behind them were much deeper when music was first becoming popular. Rock and roll challenged high and low culture, sexuality, and race. So much came from this music. Take Elvis for example he "rocked the boat." Elvis was white but he had the feel that many black artists could give. Which is exactly what they were looking for. Elvis pushed the limits. With his music and just the way he performed. And while music is a large part of our culture in the 21st century I feel that it is used to pass the time and to enjoy. The lyrics and the artists don't challenge anything these days. I guess what I am trying to say is that I can't think of an artist these days that "rocked the boat" like Elvis.

No comments: